Friday, June 4, 2010

TINEYE - REVERSE IMAGE SEARCH


Guys believe it or not, this is not an affiliate stuff or paid post that's gonna get me some kind of hot cash to wet my pocket. This is just one of those websites that I landed upon while stumbling across the web using the Stumble! button of my SU Toolbar (and that's why I say- "Stumbling works!"). This is a simple review that I was tempted to write on my own on this super-cool website just to spread some awareness about its "coolness" across the web.



As I'm an image freak, and a crazy part time photoshopper, I like to span across the web for some good image stuff while I'm free. Many-a-times I tend to land upon some really good images that happen to be of lower resolution or have something scribbled or watermarked on them (maybe some website's name or something like that). In such cases, even though you wish to download the image for the quality of work, you still pass off the image just because you can't use it anywhere (even if you're ready to give the designer the respective credentials). Not anymore!



TinEye- a reverse image search engine, may aid you search the best quality version or even the cleanest edit of the image you're searching for. All you need is to upload any version of the image you're looking for, and you've got all the possible editions available on the web of that image, even the cropped, edited and re-sized ones. Icing on the cake- You can even find whether your copyrighted image has been, or is being used somewhere else on the web.

How's it different for Google Image search? Well, the basic difference between Google Image Search and TinEye is that-
"They both are totally and completely different!"
Google never stores images on its servers. It just searches images on the basis of the keywords that you type in the search bar and the relevant names and "alt" parameters of the images across the web. And that's where TinEye is different from Google or any other image search. It searches images based on the fingerprinting technique. The image you upload for search is converted to a fingerprint and then this fingerprint is compared to the indexes on the website's data store.

That's all for now folks. See you soon with my next post on something really interesting. Stay tuned by subscribing to my blog for more interesting articles and discoveries. Cheers!


Digg It! Stumble Delicious Technorati Tweet It! Facebook

blog comments powered by Disqus